Governance and Legislation Advisor
Darwin is one of Australia's thriving capitals. Our city is both modern and multicultural, boasting many exciting cultural festivals and weekly food and craft markets, as well as a laid back, family friendly lifestyle. In business and industry circles, Darwin is described as Australia's gateway to South East Asia, with desirable Asian locations just a short flight away.
We are seeking an experienced and skilled Governance and Legislation Advisor to join our Government Relations & External Affairs team. This position will be reporting to the General Manager and will be highly-organised, proactive and a motivated individual. This position will require the successful candidate to support the implementation of Council's governance framework by coordinating Council's statutory meetings and policy framework in accordance with legislation. In this role, the successful candidate will regularly undertake research; prepare reports, manage the logistical requirement of holding Council Meetings, in addition to acting as the secretariat to TOPROC (Top End Regional Organisation of Councils).
Key responsibilities include but not limited to
- Implement key Governance functions including Council's Policy Management Framework, Statutory Meeting Framework, Delegations and registers required by legislation
- Oversee the Decision Making Framework and Council Meetings by implementing best practice approaches to report writing, agenda development, meeting procedure and public reporting of Council decisions
- Continuously monitor Council's statutory meeting framework and associated tools such as terms of reference and standing orders to ensure continued compliance with legislation, and develop and implement an annual performance evaluation of the meeting framework
- Provide high level advice to the Lord Mayor and Chief Executive Officer on meeting procedure in public meetings
- Undertake research and prepare reports, discussion papers, briefings, correspondence and draft policies for the Department of Government Relations & External Affairs
- Support the Electoral Commission and Council's CEO with Local Government Elections (including by-elections if required)
- Facilitate the process to review and legislate Council By-Laws
To be successful you will have
- Demonstrated experience in managing the statutory meeting framework within a local government council and knowledge of legislation as it applies to this role
- Ability to identify Governance and Policy issues, be forward thinking and think conceptually and formulate policies and procedures to address these issues
- Ability to interpret legislation and formulate policies to ensure compliance with relevant legislative requirements
- Sound understanding of and willingness to maintain political, commercial and personal confidentially in the workplace
- Highly developed verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills including the capacity to establish and maintain effective relationships with peers and stakeholders, deal professionally
- Demonstrated experience in effectively managing competing priorities and meeting deadlines in a complex environment
- Advanced skills in the use of MS Office Suite including a minimum word processing speed of 70wpm with 98% accuracy
- Qualifications in Corporate Governance, Company Secretary studies, or business and/or a minimum of three years' experience in a high level advisory role . ( Desirable)
- Knowledge of Darwin and national current affairs. ( Desirable)
- Knowledge and understanding of key local government policy priorities. ( Desirable)
Be part of an innovative and committed council
With a strong commitment to a fair and equitable workplace ethos, rigorous adherence to WH&S procedures and a culture of innovation and transformation, you'll be focussed on high performance and quality outcomes. You will be ready to proactively lead and actively support the Council's vision, goals and values that complement a changing culture.
City of Darwin offers six weeks annual leave, salary sacrifice options, and the opportunity for continuous professional development and learning. Relocation assistance may be offered to the successful candidate.
As part of Council's recruitment process, successful applicants will undergo pre-employment assessments, which may include a medical and psychometric test.
For more information regarding this position, please contact Vanessa Green, Manager Strategy and Outcomes on 08 8930 0531
To view the position description and submit an application, visit our website https://careersatthetop.com.au/Vacancies/
Applications close 5pm Monday 9 Septmeber 2019