Executive Manager Environment, Climate Change and Waste Services
Are you passionate about climate change?
Do you thrive on working with internal and external stakeholders to solve complex environmental and waste management issues?
Do you want to make a genuine, tangible difference to our community and our future?
City of Darwin prides itself on being responsive to the needs, interests and aspirations of our community. We play an important part in being a provider, funder, regulator, partner, facilitator and an advocate for our community. We work closely with the community and partners, provide leadership, and deliver services that create opportunities to enhance the cultural, economic and environmental sustainability of Darwin City.
We currently have a new leadership opportunity within our Engineering and City Services team and are looking for a vibrant, innovative, passionate and progressive Executive Manager to lead our Environment, Climate Change and Waste Services Section. This role is a key member of City of Darwin's Senior Leadership Team so if you're looking for a management position that allows you to lead from the forefront, serve your community and make a difference for the environment, then look no further.
About the role:
Remuneration: This is a five-year contractual position with a total salary package value range of $185,000 to $200,000 per annum, depending on experience, skills and knowledge.
Reporting into the General Manager Engineering and City Services, your objective is to ensure a comprehensive and integrated approach is applied to the strategic and operational management of the section. You will be expected to provide direction and high-level advice to other internal business units to ensure high-performance delivery of City of Darwin's environmental management, climate change, biodiversity, waste services management and corporate and community sustainability. No one day is the same at City of Darwin so here is a quick snapshot as to what is expected of you:
- Strategically lead and manage Environment and Climate Change to ensure all commitments made to the community are delivered.
- Manage City of Darwin's waste management activities, including kerbside waste collection, landfill operations, recycling facility operations and waste management education.
- Prepare and present strategic and annual business plans and progress reports regarding key priorities within the Environment, Climate Change and Waste Services Section.
- Deliver effective advice and updates to the General Manager and CEO on statutory obligations, powers and limitations and ensure all processes are administered in accordance with governing instruments.
- Establish and maintain links with appropriate industry and community groups relevant to the activities of the section
- Undertake appropriate research on policies, practices and procedures relating to climate change, environmental management and ecological sustainability and ensure that City of Darwin's response is appropriate, relevant and sustainable.
- Have a wealth of examples to share of how you have delivered transformation or change, ideally across a range of different sectors or organisations.
- Demonstrate constructive leadership behaviour with department team members and across the whole of the organisation.
To be considered for this role, you must have:
- A relevant Degree and Post Graduate Qualifications in Environmental Science or related discipline.
- Minimum 5 years' experience at a Senior Management level in the oversight and management of waste services, environment and climate change or sustainability within government or private practice.
- Demonstrated experience in the delivery of strategic and operational environmental and waste management projects and programs
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislative requirements relevant to the business section coupled with the understanding of the economic, social and governance issues relating to local government and the overall context in which the sector operates.
- Comprehensive industry knowledge and the ability to prepare and present complex planning and management reports and submissions to Council, government, industry and the community
- Proven capability in developing effective and fiscally sound business planning processes, as well as a demonstrated ability in developing, monitoring and achieving performance objectives.
How to apply
If you have the courage to challenge ideas and seek input from the ground-up and have at least five (5) years of experience at a Senior Management level paired with your qualifications in Environmental Science or related discipline, click on the apply now link below. Please ensure you provide a cover letter addressing the selection criteria listed above.
For further enquiries please contact Ron Grinsell, our General Manager of Engineering and City Services on 0428 942 846.
The City of Darwin is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background to apply.
As part of City of Darwin's recruitment, process applicants may be required to undergo pre-employment assessments, such as a Medical Assessment, National Police Check and Psychometric Assessment.