City of Darwin is a dynamic organisation serving a large and diverse community; we are not your usual; we are upbeat, resourceful and determined. At City of Darwin, our people are our most important asset and central to achieving our exciting and ambitious Darwin 2030 Strategic Plan - City for People City of Colour.
Our Mission at City of Darwin is ‘Darwin 2030 - City for People. City of Colour'. We pride ourselves on working with the community and partners, providing leadership and delivering services that create opportunities to enhance the economic, cultural and environmental sustainability of Darwin.
About the role
The Systems Accountant will be responsible for assisting in the professional delivery of the day to day finance functions across the organisation, thereby maintaining a strong culture of continuous improvement and compliance. Reporting to the Executive Manager Finance, this role will assist with process improvement and delivering efficiencies through system enhancements and ensure effective integration with other Council systems and resolve users' issues across City of Darwin.
Key areas of service delivery responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Assist with the delivery of financial reporting obligations and planning, primarily through the generation and analysis of supporting data and other inputs and reports.
- Provide specialist professional and technical expertise, advice and support to the business to assist with the achievement of financial oversight, management and compliance.
- Assist with the preparation of City of Darwin's Annual Budgetary Process, through the generation and analysis of budget data and information.
- Assist with the preparation of long term capital works programs and forecasts through the generation and analysis of input data and information.
- Review and enhance the systems and processes that generate the underlying inputs and data used within statutory reports including, but not limited to: grant acquittal; statistical returns; annual returns; payroll /superannuation returns.
For more information on the responsibilities and the role, please click on the ‘Download PD" button below to view the position description and pre-requisites for the role.
We are looking for a focused, self-motivated individual with great energy who will thrive in a culture of continuous learning and improvement, collaboration and innovation. If you are a great team player with well-developed interpersonal skills, we would love to hear from you.
To be successful in this role, you will be able to demonstrate:
- A minimum of four (4 years) experience in a similar role.
- A tertiary qualification in Accounting or relevant discipline, or demonstrated commensurate technical industry experience.
- Sound knowledge and practical understanding of current accounting standards and other legislative requirements relevant to the role.
- Extensive experience in providing financial system mapping, restructure and implementation.
- High proficiency technology literacy skills, including; Microsoft Office Suite with Advanced Excel, various ERP Financial Systems, Asset systems, HRIS/Payroll Systems.
- Hold and maintain a Class C driver's licence.
- Obtain and maintain a National Police Records Check Clearance.
Working at City of Darwin
At City of Darwin, we're passionate about building and sustaining a high-performance culture that motivates our people to deliver exceptional results. We know that every person is unique, with a wide range of goals, ambitions and lifestyle, so we offer a wide range of benefits and working styles to suit you. We offer genuine opportunities to develop and progress, competitive salaries and generous leave options you need and deserve - whether it's for a special occasion, an unexpected event, or an extended vacation and health and wellbeing initiatives to name a few.
How to apply
Applications addressing the selection criteria and accompanied by a resume should be submitted through our recruitment system prior to the closing date.
Information on this position, the position description and to submit an application is available via our careers site at:
https://careersatthetop.com.au/Vacancies/ & enter job ref: 5641802
For further enquiries, please contact Russell Holden, our Executive Manager of Finance on 08 8930 0523.
Applications close: 5pm, Monday 20 September 2021
The City of Darwin is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background to apply.
As part of Council's recruitment process, applicants may be required to undergo pre-employment assessments, such as a Medical Assessment, National Police Check and Psychometric Assessment.